Categories:

‘I hope we thrive:’ GSA marches in Boston Pride

Pride event unites LGBTQ+ community, allies

Waving a rainbow banner through the streets of Boston, 25 students and faculty gazed out at the energetic crowd around them, full of people decked out in vibrant clothing and carrying mini multi-colored flags. As they inched toward the finish line of the annual Boston Pride parade, the school’s participants admired the 200 booths that explored and celebrated LGBTQ+ identities.

On June 8, one million people participated in the Boston Pride Parade, beginning in Copley Square and concluding in the Boston Common. Boston Pride occurs once a year during June, which is celebrated annually as Pride month. The event featured booths that provided entertainment and learning opportunities for the LGBTQ+ community, such as a performance by a queer a cappella group.

During the march, members of the school community distributed customized Pride pencils, shirts, and bracelets created by the Upper School Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) and the Family Gender and Sexuality Alliance (FGSA).

Head of School Dr. Jennifer Price marched in the parade alongside students.

“I love walking in the Boston Pride event because you can see the support from everyone watching that wasn’t there 25 years ago.”

For Dr. Price, this year’s Boston Pride Parade was about marching with the school’s community, as well as supporting her own identity.

“The march itself was so fun and encouraging. BB&N is my family. I love to go to the parade with my students and community whilst meeting old friends.”

Although Dr. Price feels that Pride Month is empowering and unique, only having one month to celebrate and acknowledge the LGBTQ+, community can be challenging, she said.

“My relationship with the months is a little tricky because it feels that those communities should be celebrated year-round. So, I hope as a community that we can be respected year-round.” Lower School Learning Specialist Beth Chiasson, who attended the parade, said Pride month aims to ensure all members of the LGBTQ+ community feel seen and accepted.”

“For all the people in the world that spend every ounce of their day worrying about safety, identity, and not being valued as a member of the community, Pride Month is about making sure those people are safe and feeling heard.”

If the school wants to support the LGBTQ+ community, it needs to be inclusive and advocate for change when necessary, Ms. Chiasson said.

“I want to represent BB&N as a school that embraces all identities, and that can’t be true if we’re not showing up. If we shy away from making statements and marching, that is considered ‘neutral.’ We are then not doing the work that allows everyone to feel safe.”

GSA Vice President Ash Surati ’26 felt empowered after marching at Boston Pride for the first time, she said.

“The LGBTQ community as a whole has struggled so much, so seeing an event full of pure joy made me so happy. Everyone was living their authentic lives.”

Ash said she hopes that GSA will continue to be a welcoming space for everyone.

“I hope we thrive, I hope we continue to have fun movie nights, and I really hope that people who aren’t part of the GSA aren’t afraid of being themselves.”

Everyone deserves to belong in a community where they can be themselves, Ash said.

“It’s okay to be yourself. Even if people aren’t accepting now, there are people out there for you.”

GSA Co-President Miley Chen ’25 felt camaraderie with other members of the LGBTQ+ community during the Pride Parade, she said.

“It was a great way to bridge a relationship between LGBTQ communities within the school and the greater Boston area. It’s lots of fun to talk to other people about your experience and listen to their experiences so you can learn more about the community.”

Miley said she appreciated that the event created a sense of unity for the LGBTQ+ community and its allies.

“A lot of times you can feel alone in the LGBTQ community,” she said. “However, the world is getting better about acknowledging and educating about the LGBTQ community. It can still feel very isolating, especially if you think you are the only queer person wherever you are. This event allows people to see others who might think that they are alone to help them understand that they are not alone.”

Although the school has aided the GSA, more work is needed on behalf of its LGBTQ+ students, Miley said.

“Overall, I think BB&N has done an amazing job of supporting the GSA and the LGBTQ community. I just hope that we keep moving forward and be aware of how actions and words can inadvertently affect the queer community.”

For GSA Co-President Max Laibson ’25, Pride sparked his excitement for future events, such as the Queer Conference that the GSA is planning for the fall, he said.

“Attending Pride this year was especially meaningful to me because I got to experience queer culture surrounded by my school community.”