¡Celebramos! Latin and Hispanic community unites at Noche Española

Students and families gather for Spanish Night hosted by LAHFA

Entering the Community Room on April 3, one thing was clear: it was Noche Española, also known as Spanish Night. Attendees got a full taste of Hispanic culture with a live DJ shuffling between Shakira and Carlos Vives, a selection of paellas and Spanish tortillas, and front row seats to cultural conversations. The event was organized by the school’s Latin American and Hispanic Families Association (LAHFA) to celebrate the school’s Latin and Hispanic community and welcomenewly admitted families. The event offered a combination of traditional food, games, music, and a space to bond with others. Students from all campuses were welcomed to decorate masquerade masks and percussion instruments called castanets.

The Upper School (US) hosted Noche Española for the third year in a row, and every year the attendance has grown. Ale Winter ’26 said the event was a great opportunity to make new friends and connect with various members of the US
community.

“It was fun interacting with new people beyond the student body,” Ale said. “I enjoyed talking to an alum, and we had a great time
sharing stories from Bivouac. It was also a good way to bring people from our community and newly admitted students together to bond over good food, music, and culture.”

LAHFA Co-President Carolina Pierry ’30 thought the event fostered a place for community members to
connect, she said.

“The purpose of Noche Española was to bring the school community together in a fun, inclusive environment while celebrating Spanish and Latin American culture. I think the goal was definitely achieved. It was a very nice showing of the community.”

Established in 2021, LAHFA has continued to host various events to strengthen and grow the school’s Latin and Hispanic community. Noche Española is not only for the school’s Hispanic and Latin community but also a space for others to celebrate and learn about Latin culture, Mrs. Pierry said. “We really are trying to make it a community event that is open to all of BB&N and not just for Latin American and Hispanic communities. This is a place where everyone can come together and feel
welcome.”

Additionally, an important aspect of this year’s event was welcoming newly admitted families into the LAHFA community, Mrs. Pierry said. Noche Española served as an opportunity for prospective students and families to meet current families who share similar traditions and backgrounds. The event allowed these families to know their culture is recognized and celebrated at the school, she said. “We hope that new families got a sense of how diverse the BB&N community is and how there is a place for everyone in our community.”

Mrs. Pierry enjoyed watching her daughter, Julianna Pierry ’30, interact and spend time with all her friends. Every year that Julianna has participated in Noche Española, her group of friends—who also attended—has expanded, which was wonderful to witness, Mrs. Pierry said.

“It was such a fun event and a beautiful way to showcase the Latin American and Hispanic culture. It was a great way to bring our traditions—food, music, and dance—and share it with the wider BB&N community.”

Amanda Berlin ’26, Co-President of the Latin-Hispanic Student Association (LHSA), attended Noche Española after enjoying the event the previous year, she said. Reflecting on the evening, Amanda appreciated the food, dancing, and the opportunity to interact with students of all ages, she said. “My favorite part of the event was when I talked to some beginners, and they told me about their time at the Lower School.”

For Amanda, the event was a great way to bring together students from different campuses who share a similar culture, she said. “It is important to hold this event because it helps other students know they have a community that they belong to. It is a great place to make friends with people who are similar to you.”

Abby Brown ’26, a member of the LHSA, also had positive takeaways from the event. Abigail enjoyed talking to an old friend who is also Latina, she said.

“I thought it was a great opportunity to connect with her after I hadn’t seen her in a long time, especially over this similarity
that unites us.”

Abby hopes to see more events like this in future years, she said. “This is a great opportunity to network with people similar to us even if we would not interact on a regular basis.” At Noche Española, Abby found community in her shared culture and identity, she said.

“I am glad I was able to tap into my culture that way.”