Banish revenge bedtime procrastination

It’s time to take back our time

Augie Hawk, Editorials Editor

Every day, every week, we spend our time doing what others want. Sure, school is good for us, but do we really want to write a five-page paper on Ozymandias? Not really. Instead, we work from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., then spend another two hours playing sports. Factor in extracurriculars, like clubs or volunteer work, and “me-time” gets pretty small.

Consequently, we find ourselves finishing homework at 10:30 p.m. but choosing to spend time on Instagram until 11:30 p.m. or later. We insist on that me-time, no matter how late it is. This has been dubbed “revenge bedtime procrastination” (RBP), a phrase popularized by Chinese Twitter users, according to BBC. We need that feeling of control over our lives. We need that satisfaction, despite the harm it causes our sleep schedules.

RBP isn’t necessarily wrong. Having that me- time, for most, is part of staying sane. On our board, me-time varies from person to person but means, fundamentally, taking time off work, whether school or extracurricular, that we don’t enjoy. We fill that time with exercise, family, tea, music… to each his own. Whether me-time is silent or strenuous, pumping you up or allowing you to rest, it’s something you choose.

One of our particularly handsome editors, a member of the lacrosse team with daily practices, said although the overall commitment can be tiring and time-consuming, he considers practice his me-time because he loves the sport. It’s something he wants to do that creates a crucial distance from classroom stressors. When he’s not on the lacrosse field or mastering the academic dojo, this editor also takes time to watch movies— multiple per weekend, if possible. It’s not productive, per se, but it’s relaxing and fun. Why not, then?

Others of us said me-time is anything without screens. During COVID especially, we students have been glued to our computer screens for the majority of the day. Although TikTok, Instagram, and Netflix all entertain, sometimes eight hours of screen time is enough. We crave a great novel, a family hike, or Scrabble.

Yet sometimes we simply cannot make room for me-time, despite our best intentions, and so we stay up until 1 a.m., when we could be sleeping, even though rarely do we truly want to. To avoid such treachery and still carve me-time into your day, identify what you take pleasure in and, like our fabled handsome editor, drop it into your schedule. That way it doesn’t become something that keeps you from sleeping, or worse, gets usurped by mindless me-time that isn’t as enjoyable.

Whatever works for you is best. That’s how you combat revenge procrastination: by doing what you enjoy.

With summer fast approaching, we will all, hopefully, have more time on our hands for what we love to do. Now’s the time to take revenge, then, on revenge procrastination. TGISV—thank God it’s summer vacation.