Departing Faculty: Science Teacher and JV Baseball Head Coach Jake Nagy

Emilia Khoury, Contributing Writer

After six years of teaching chemistry at the Upper School (US), US Science Teacher Jake Nagy will be leaving the school. Madeleine Brodeur ’23, a student in Mr. Nagy’s Honors Chemistry class, said Mr. Nagy was known as a teacher who could keep the class engaged since his classes varied between asynchronous work done in the classroom and planned lessons.

“Inside the classroom, Mr. Nagy ensures his classes are dynamic and entertaining,” she said. Madeleine transferred into his class midway through the year, but he ensured her transition was seamless and the classroom was welcoming to the point where she felt like she belonged, she said.

One example of his unique approach to teaching, she said, was an interactive debate.

“The debate on Friday was so cool and such a unique and different application of STEM knowledge, and I learned a lot from it.”

For Mr. Nagy, getting into chemistry seemed natural, as he was always skilled in the subject, he said. He said he had always liked science growing up and enjoyed learning how the world around him worked. Before coming to the school, Mr. Nagy taught at the Hun School of Princeton, New Jersey, for a year. His prior teaching job was in a more rural location, and the school was made up of a mix of boarding and day students. This gave him more responsibilities after school with the boarding students. Coming to the US, Mr. Nagy said he was happy to hear he didn’t have to wear a shirt and tie every day.

Mr. Nagy said some of his favorite memories were the little moments in classes—when students learn something new and the joy that comes with it—and celebrating Varsity Football with the community during the 2019 Homecoming.

Mr. Nagy decided to leave the school this year because he wants to examine his life and possibly move away from teaching, he said.

“I’m in the middle of defining purpose and meaning for myself, and currently, I don’t feel like I have as much of myself to give.”

Mr. Nagy said he plans on setting out to find a place where he belongs.

“I am eternally grateful for the opportunities and friendships working here has provided. Leaving will be bittersweet, for sure,” he said.