Categories:

How ‘junior’ are JV sports?

Players reflect on JV teams

Michael Jordan, one of the world’s greatest basketball players, was on his high school’s junior varsity(JV) basketball team until his sophomore year. Does that mean JV sports at the Upper School(US) should be taken seriously? Or do they just exist to fullfill a graduation requirement? Is the next Michael Jordan hiding in one of the US’s many JV teams?

Emma Kirk ’26 is a member of Girls’ JV Hockey for two reasons: completing her athletic requirement and having fun, she said.

“I do JV hockey to get my sports credit. It’s a nice way to enjoy a sport without having to be stressed and worried about it. I can still be involved in the sport even if I’m not that good.”

Emma also rows for a competitive crew team outside of school, a 16-hour-per- week commitment. She struggles to balance playing two sports at once and being on JV helps, she said.

“It’s a pain sometimes with having to do two sports. I really like the JV hockey team because there are no expectations, and attendance is flexible.”

She said she feels lucky to have found a team that is accommodating, a luxury not all JV athletes have.

“I think the level of seriousness depends on the coach and the people on the team.”

Lexi Nicholas ’26 agreed that it is the coach who determines the team’s commitment to their sport, which she has experienced playing for both Girls’ JV Hockey and Lacrosse, she said.

“The two JV teams I played for were completely different experiences. One of them, we did nothing, and it was really fun,” Lexi said. “The other is more like a varsity sport, a lot more on schedule with specific goals we have to achieve. A big factor is the coach of the team.”

She thinks JV teams at the Upper School (US) are respected, especially by players with varsity aspirations.

“JV sports are taken seriously, especially if everyone on the team has goals of making varsity.”

But not all US athletes agree. Most JV practices and games are sparsely attended or just “not taken seriously,” Iris Fahy ’26 said.

“On JV teams, attendance is not very great. I feel like the only thing holding JV teams back from practice being more intense is the numbers.”

JV sports are a valuable environment for developing foundational skills, she said.

“The purpose of playing a JV sport is to work on basic skills and improve your overall game.”

To Robbie Baker ’25, a member of JV Boys’ Baseball and Hockey, JV sports help to foster comfortable surroundings.

“It’s a lot more relaxed generally. In my experience, I’ve had a lot more fun on JV teams. It’s just a good environment.”

The benefits of playing a JV sport outweigh just physical exercise, he said.

“I encourage people to do JV sports because it’s a great experience. It shouldn’t be seen as something negative. The physical activity doesn’t just keep you in better health physically, but also mentally.”

Brianna Smith ’10 has had an overall positive experience coaching JV Girls’ Field Hockey, Basketball, and Softball, she said.

“It is rewarding to see students improve their skills, grow as a student athlete, and, for some, make varsity. Coaching can be the highlight of my day and a change of pace that I enjoy.”

However, a lack of attendance or motivation have posed major issues throughout her coaching experience, she said.

“With students playing other sports outside of school, there is a lot of conflict in attending practices and games. If they don’t think that they will ever have a chance to make varsity they may not give their full commitment or potential to the sport.”

Mr. Crihfield, the coach of JV Boys Soccer and Girls Varsity Tennis, agreed that varsity aspirations impact the level of dedication on the team, he said.

“I think JV sports are taken somewhat seriously, but it depends on the sport and whether the JV team is a true feeder program to the varsity or not.”

However, Mr. Crihfield does not deal with a divided level of seriousness on JV Boys soccer, he said.

“I would say that most of our players aspire to make varsity, and usually at least 3-4 move up from JV to Varsity every year. Even those who don’t aspire to make varsity are usually doing more than just filling the sports requirement they are committed soccer players who enjoy the game and care about competing at a high level.”

Despite the dedication of the soccer team, Mr. Crihfield does recognize that JV sports are often surrounded by a negative stigma. It is important to change this, he said.

“I would love to see JV sports get a little more recognition overall. One idea I have suggested to the Athletic Department is having a ‘Coaches’ Cup’ for JV teams in addition to varsity teams. It would be nice for JV coaches to be able to recognize players who have contributed significantly over the course of the season.”