Categories:

41 years of impact: Kathy Newell to retire

School celebrates GVH founder and Associate Athletic Director’s experience

“She believed in so many kids. If you think about all the students that she has believed in over her 41 years, I mean, she’s changed lives,” Head of School Jennifer Price said, describing Associate Athletics Director Kathy Newell’s impact on the Upper School (US) community after 41 years. Ms. Newell will retire this June.

Ms. Newell’s career began in the Lesley/BB&N Master’s Degree Program, a student- teaching internship program. She worked in a classroom and taught physical education before moving to the US Athletics Department. She started coaching on her first day at the school and has been ever since.

When Ms. Newell first started at the US, the girls’ hockey program didn’t exist.

“I had grown up playing hockey. I went to the Nobles and Greenough School and played hockey there. I went to Skidmore, played hockey there, and it just made sense to have a hockey team. So, I just approached the athletic director. He said, ‘If you can find the kids, I’ll support you.’”

Ms. Newell knew that, if given the chance, girls at the US could share her passion, she said.

“Luckily enough, a bunch of peopletookarisk,andthat’show it started. It was this novelty of like, ‘Oh my God, girls play hockey?’ But now it’s a norm. A lot of kids live for it.”

One of Ms. Newell’s favorite memories from her career has been watching Girls’ Varsity Hockey (GVH) win the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) Large School Championship this season, she said.

“Watching the Girls’ Hockey win their NEPSAC championships was really kind of a full circle moment because when we first started the program, it was a goal to be as good as you could be.”

From “winning league championships” to “seeing a kid jump on the ice for the first time,” the most valuable part of her career has been the relationships she’s built, she said.

“Everybody had a role in shaping how things went during my career, and it speaks for itself in a way: to be here for 41 years, something must’ve gone right. It’s just a fun job. I got to do what I loved for 41 years, so living the dream.”

Ms. Newell said she is looking forward to her next chapter.

“BB&N has been my life for 41 years, so I’m actually looking forward to seeing what else is out there,” she said. “I’m actually moving to Rhode Island. I’m going to be closer to family and closer to the beach. So, I’m looking forward to that change, and I’m just looking forward to having time for hobbies and having a freedom in my schedule.”

However, the change will be bittersweet for Ms. Newell.

“I’ll miss BB&N. You miss the connections. You miss the kids. It’s hard to think about getting out of bed and being like, ‘all right, now what am I going to do today?’ But that’s a good thought.”

To future students and athletes, she has one piece of advice: “Take some risks, try something new, be there for your teammates, and try to remember to have fun.”

GVH coach Ed Bourget ’96 now leads what Ms. Newell built. To him, her impact “cannot be measured in words,” he said.

As a friend and colleague, US English Teacher Alda Farlow said she admires Ms. Newell’s coaching philosophy.

“She believes in providing students with opportunities to compete to the best of their ability without losing their joy for the sport.”

Elizabeth Smith ’90, one of many athletes Ms. Newell coached, described her as “the best coach ever.”

“She taught me what it meant to be a teammate and an athlete. To practice, work hard, compete fairly, lead with integrity, to take the losses, and celebrate the wins.

Kathy made it all—and so much more in my life—possible.”

Annie Brewster ’86 was another athlete who appreciated being coached by Ms. Newell.

“Ms. Newell was a role model in showing us how to advocate for ourselves and make things happen,” she said.

For former GVH Co-captain Alexsa Carson ’24, Ms. Newell made the team a “second home.”

“None of the hockey girls would be here without her. She really started our program, and let it be our second home, at least for me for the last five years.”

Ms. Newell has been an inspiration “for those female athletes that are coming up and realizing they have the potential to be something amazing,” Alexsa said.

Alexsa said she will miss Ms. Newell’s ever-present support.

“You can always hear her voice, being supportive, pushing you to be your very best,” she said. “The impact that she had on other people and not just me, that’s who I want to be when I grow up.”

Tish Biggar P ’82, the former assistant athletic director, said she admires Ms. Newell’s loyalty and humility.

“She has a loyalty that should be bottled! She does things for others in a quiet way, and I don’t think being thanked ever crosses her mind.”

Director of Health and Fitness Henri André befriended Ms. Newell in their shared office, he said.

“For many years, we shared a dim storage room converted into our ‘office’ without a view. Kathy’s presence was the true light in that office. That’s where we forged our lasting collegiality and friendship.”